Fred Hassen is the founder and originator of the Sit Means Sit dog training system – a studied, tested, proven, specialized approach that shows immediate results in the dog’s ability to maintain focus to the task at hand even around distractions in a non-confrontational way. These methods have earned Fred the opportunity to train, not only the general dog owner’s dog, but celebrity and professional athletes dogs from around the globe as well.
Fred has presented seminars to pet owners, professional dog trainers and K9 handlers across the continent and abroad for many years, while building the largest U.S. based dog training franchise in the world.
Fred is constantly pushing the bar higher and the Sit Means Sit system is in a constant state of flux continuously improving and providing handlers the ability to communicate more effectively with their canine partners.
Fred believes “Talk is cheap” and has a library of over 1500 videos, in real time, showcasing the many benefits of the Sit Means Sit dog training system.
Fred started the largest educational and informative group on successful remote collar training. The group can be found at: https://m.facebook.com/groups/623415091098477?ref=m_notif¬if_t=group_added_to_group&actorid=747242894
Fred’s accomplishments include:
- 2022 PSA National Championship Level 3 (3rd Place, see video)
AKC Junior Hunt Test Title
AKC Senior Hunt Test Title
2nd Place National Championships – Dock Dogs
- 2nd Place World Championships – Dock Dogs
- 1997 National Championships – 4th Place Obedience
- 1999 National Championships – 1st Place (Open) Obedience; 1st Place (Open) Protection; 3rd Place Overall
- 2000 National Championships – 3rd Place Obedience (Advanced); 4th Place Protection (Advanced)
- All-Time Record Holder for the highest obedience score in the history of the NAPD competitions.
- Channel 3 news story at 12:00 p.m. and at 6:00 p.m. on “Sit Means Sit” training to help all of the workers at the Nevada Power Company for bite prevention with Joe Boteilho (Head of Clark County Animal Control) on Friday Sept. 19th, 2003. Educational newspiece on dog safety.
- Cover story, Business News Weekly (May 2002)
- Host of the simulcast television show “Sit Means Sit” airing every Tuesday at 8:30 p.m. (PDT) in Las Vegas on Local UHF Channel 17
- Featured guest on “Day One Las Vegas” Television show January 27, 2002;
- Featured story on 4 o’clock and 6 o’clock news on KLAS-TV Channel 8, Reno Nevada January 24, 2002.
- Radio talk show host from 1996 until 2001 for “Sit Means Sit” Radio Show with co-host Joe Boteilho. Other regular co-hosts during that time frame have been Brian Mowry, Cheryl Carlson (Editor of Dog Sports Magazine), and Veterinarian Dr. Kate Gentry.
- Featured lead story interview on Channel 8 News (04/05/01).
- Featured guest for “Animal Wise” Millennium television special (1/1/00), hosted by media Veterinarian Dr. Kate Gentry.
- Featured guest on Channel 13’s “Good Morning Las Vegas.”
- Contributing writer to “The Vegas Dog” magazine.
- Feature story on Channel 3 news.
- Staff writer for Dog Sports Magazine (www.dogsports.com)
- Featured article on front page of Las Vegas Review Journal”Living “section
- Featured interview on Jon Patch’s nationally syndicated radio show”Talkin’ Pets “(www.talkingpets.com)
- Featured interview on Gary Nolan’s nationally syndicated talk radio show “Nolan at Night” (www. modernman/nolan/)
- News 3 Las Vegas headline television news coverage of our August 9, 2002 bite prevention demonstration for the postal service workers at the Emerald post office.
- Featured story “Fox 43 News at Ten” Harrisburg Pa.
- Featured interview on “Fox 5” 10PM News regarding dog bites
Guest Speaker/Seminars/ Demonstrations
- Speaker 2017 K-Cop Magazine National Conference in Nashville, TN
Demonstrator and Speaker at H.I.T.S International K-9 Police Conference
Demonstrator and Speaker at K-9 Cop Magazine International Police Conference.
Special guest speaker for the 2003 USPCA (United States Police Canine Association) Region 15 annual meeting, along with a 2 day workshop on use of the remote training collar.
- Designed and instructed advanced remote collar training courses for: Brea Police K-9 Team, La Habra Police K-9 Team, and Placentia Police K-9 Team, all located in Los Angeles, California
- Instructor, City of Las Vegas Dog Bite Prevention event
Designed and taught 2-day advanced training with Tucson Police K-9 Team.
- Taught Advanced Certification Course for the following Police Departments: Austell, Georgia Police Department; Spalding County Sheriffs Department; Calhoun County Police Department; Cartersville Police Department; Powder Springs Police Department; Cherryville, North Carolina Police Department.
- Featured demonstrator for Eastern Sports Show (Largest Sports Show in U.S.A.), performing 16 exhibitions Feb. 2-8, 2002
- One of featured guest speakers at 2003 I.A.C.P. annual convention.
- Featured demonstrator at Las Vegas Valley Humane Society Walk-a-thon (4/22/01)
- Featured speaker and demonstrator at the National Bite Prevention press conference.
- Featured guest speaker at the Tucson Police K-9 trials with numerous police departments in attendance from the US and other countries.
- Training Director for”Sunrise Valley Schutzhund Club
- Featured demonstrator at major functions in Las Vegas metropolitan area events, such as Thomas and Mack arena halftime demonstration “Strut Your Mutt”; “Petapalooza”; SPCA adoption events; and many others.
- Featured guest speaker for the Orange County Police Canine Association (OCPCA) annual meeting in Brea, California on September 25, 2002.
- Featured seminar speaker on dog bite prevention for US Post Office
- Featured Demonstrator at Caesar’s Palace (Las Vegas) exhibition for Fisher show Jan 30-31, 2002
- One of the original founders of “Genius Dogs in Service,” a Service Dog organization. Certification tester, trainer, and member of the organization’s Board of Executives.